Pages

Thursday 1 September 2011

August Favourites!


I can't believe it's September already! Time really does fly! But boy am I glad that August is over. August was really not a good month for me - but a good month of discovering new products ^^

So let's get right into it:

My first favourite would have the be the Garnier BB Cream (in Medium) [£9.99] - it really is nice. I've been using this pretty much every time I go out and it's perfect for those who have dry skin. I'm not sure if people with combo slash oily skin will like it though. It gives a dewy finish and does make your face quite shiny. It makes your skin feel super soft and eliminates that tight feeling that I get (curse my dry skin). I always use a powder to set my foundation and matte my face and this leads me on to my next favourite which is Avon's Colour Trend Translucent Final Touch pressed powder [£4]. Even though this says 'translucent', most powders have some sort of colour to them, and this powder is no different. This powder is slightly lighter than my skin tone and is perfect with the Garnier BB cream as that's slightly too dark for me. The two balance each other out and have been staples for me during this month of August. I already have a review on the Garnier BB Cream, so do go and check it out. The Avon pressed powder is very cheap looking. There's no mirror and the puff that it comes with is not so great either. However, I really like the smooth texture of the powder and how it sets my foundation. It doesn't give that cakey powdery face that you can get with compact powder foundations, and is great to use in the summer. The picture below is of my hand and I have applied some of the powder to the bottom right hand corner of my hand, which you might be able to make out.


I've also been loving the Missguided Lipsplash in Misfortune [£5?]. It's a cool red colour with a slight shimmer - the shimmer does not show up at all when applied. This lipgloss is sheer in colour (as you can see from the picture to the right) and is a nice raspberry colour and is not sticky at all. It does have a scent to it, a scent that I'm not too fond of, but it's not overpowering. I like the colour of this gloss and the fact that it's not sticky like most lipglosses are. I'm not sure where you can get this, I got it free from the Cosmo magazine a while back. You can check out their website: www.misguided.co.uk
I've also done a review on ELF's primer [£6] (which you can find on my blog) and I've been using this to prime my face. It really does smooth out my skin so that my foundation applies smoothly.

I've used the Cure Natural Aqua Gel [~£22] twice a week since I purchased it back in April and have been loving it ever since. This gel turns very watery slash liquid-like when applied and it removes the dead skin. You can actually feel it removing the skin and will leave you with fresh skin which will absorb products like moisturiser better. It will also provide a smooth canvas for your makeup and is a holy grail product for people with dry flaky skin. Before using this, I could never use liquid foundation as it always highlighted my dry skin and I would always get dry flaky patches. Using this to remove all the dry patches made my skin much less flaky and made using liquid foundation possible. If you find that whenever you use liquid foundation, it always ends up making your face look dry, flaky, and patchy, then you should seriously consider getting this. I got this online at www.beautycarousel.com. Shipping is pretty expensive, but if your order total is above a certain amount, shipping is free. I purchased two bottles of the Cure Natural Aqua Gel and a few more little things to be eligible for the free shipping, and I think the total was around £45. It is important that you don't over-exfoliate your skin - it is recommended to use this product twice a week. A bottle should last you around a year, and it is worth every single penny. You can opt for a free sample of this product, the site will send you four small samples (sachets) of the product, free of charge. You will, however, need to pay for the shipping which will cost you around £2. This is what I did first to make sure that this product worked on my skin, so I would recommend you try out the sample first.

My last beauty favourite is the powder brush from ELF [£3]. It is absolutely amazing for buffing in my foundation - it really is a quick and easy method of applying foundation. I much prefer using this brush to apply my liquid foundation over powder. I feel like this brush is really dense and picks up quick a bit of product and packs it onto the skin which may result in an over-powdered cakey look which one should always avoid. I prefer to use a big fluffy brush to set my foundation. This brush is extremely soft and doesn't shed as much hair as I thought it would - I don't believe it has shed at all. It is also extremely cheap relative to other brushes and I have order two more (at half it's usual price). I would highly recommend this brush to anyone - it really is amazing at buffing in liquid foundation, and will give you that flawless, airbrushed look.

My favourite TV show during August would have to be Veronica Mars - I watched all of it within a week! I have no idea why I started to watch it, and I couldn't believe that I hadn't! I must admit, it did take me around half a season to start to actually like the characters - it is hard as there is not much character development in each episode. But the more I watched, the more I got into it. I ended up really falling for Logan Echolls character which is really surprising to me. I usually always prefer the nicer guy over the "bad" boy, so I really expected to like Duncan Kane more. It may have been because the writers did such a good job on Logan's character development, and really didn't do much for Duncan - he was actually kind of bporing. Duncan had a lot of promise in the beginning, and then just faded into the background. Logan definitely stole the spotlight off of Duncan and so I wasn't all too sad when Duncan was written out of the show around the mid-season of season 2 (sorry for the spoiler guys!). Definitely give the show a try, especially if you like mystery-solving type of shows. It is very smart and witty, and you don't really get quality writing like this anymore. The series lasting from 2004-2007 (I believe), three seasons, and 68 episodes? I was really sad and surprised that the TV did not last longer, and I will say that you won't get any closure by the end, it is quite an open ending, which I really hated =((

These were my favourites - do check some of these out if you haven't already, and until next time..

- Diem xo

No comments:

Post a Comment