Pages

Sunday 18 March 2012

HD Brows - Review + Swatches

As you may rememeber, many months ago,  people received a HD Brows kit in their Glossybox. I've just opened mine to check out if it's any good or not. The main reason why I cracked it open was because I wanted more matte colours - most of the neutral colours I have are all shimmery (blast you Naked palette for only having two matte colours).

Let's get started on the review:


The HD Brows palette is in 'Foxy' and comes with four colours:

Nude (first colour in swatch, top left in quad) - The lightest of the colours. I have natural black hair so I obviously won't be using this for my brows, but I will be using this colour to blend out my eyeshadows when I'm doing a smokey eye because it's quite close to my skin colour (as you can see in the swatch above).

Warm Brown (second colour in swatch, bottom left in quad) - this is a brown with very warm undertones. I use this for the outer half of my brows, as I find that using this for the whole of my brows leave them too dark. Although the swatch shows that it's not anywhere close to a natural black colour, it is actually a colour I would recommend for those with dark brown slash natural black hair.

Carbon (third colour in swatch, top right in quad) - Though it shares the same name as the matte black from MAC, it's actually an extremely dark brown colour. Although I have natural black hair, this is a colour that I CANNOT use - this is too dark for me and any attempt in using this will make my eyebrows look drawn on. Perhaps those who have thick brows will be able to get away with using this, but I sure as hell cannot. It may also be suitable for women of colour as the other colours may be too light on the skin (and too ashy looking). I will also be using this as an eyeshadow rather than for my brows - I don't have a dark matte brown eyeshadow colour in my collection.

Ash Brown (last in swatch, bottom right in quad) - although this colour looks quite light and taupe in the swatch, when applied to my brows, it actually is quite dark. I could definitely get away with using just this colour for the entire of my brows.

I find that this palette is perfect for filling in my brows, but I don't think it would be suitable for those who do not have dark brown slash natural black hair, even though this is described for brunettes. They have a palette called vamp which is said to be for dark hair, but I think palette is already dark enough for natural black hair. So if you have light or medium brown hair, I would suggest to get Bombshell which is meant for blondes.

I wouldn't use the brush it came with, but I wouldn't use the brush that most palettes come with so I don't really care about that. The eyeshadows(?) themselves are pretty nice. They are pigmented, finely milled, and feel very silky and smooth. They do crumble slightly when I use my angled brush (Real Techniques Brow Brush), but it's not too messy. I have also dropped this on laminated flooring and it didn't completely crumble (thank god!). The packaging is nice, it comes with a reasonably sized mirror - perhaps it could have been a bit slimmer and sleeker.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this quad, I think it's perfect for my brows as well as using for my brows. I'm not sure what 'Bombshell' and 'Vamp' compares, but I would definitely recommend this quad for those with dark brown to black hair. Unfortunately, when I went to their website, it was sold out. I think it did retail for £19.95, but hopefully they'll have more stock soon.

I would give the HD Brows
❤❤❤❤♡ (4 out of 5 hearts) ^^

I'm defo gonna get some good use out of these, and I'm extremely happy I was sent this in my Glossybox all those months ago.

Until next time..

- Diem xo

No comments:

Post a Comment